Listen to the dialogue “Sea or
Air”.
Susan
|
Are you looking
forward to your trip to Canada, Julie?
|
Julie
|
I can’t wait to
see Canada, Susan, but I’m scared stiff of the journey. My husband insists on
flying, but I want to sail. Planes make me nervous.
|
Susan
|
There’s nothing
to be frightened of. How many planes fly across the Atlantic every day?
|
Julie
|
I’ve no idea.
Hundreds, I suppose.
|
Susan
|
And how often do
you hear of a crash?.. Once or twice a year?
|
Julie
|
Yes, but
aeroplanes fly so high and fast that once is enough.
|
Susan
|
Look, there are
more road casualties per day than air deaths per year. Air transport is
really safe compared with road transport.
|
Julie
|
I’d still prefer
to go by sea. Ships may not travel fast but at least you can relax. I’d love
a trip on a luxury liner like the Queen Elizabeth II.
|
Susan
|
It’s fine if
you’re a good sailor, but have you ever travelled far in a rough sea?
|
Julie
|
No. I’ve only
been in a boat once. I sailed down the River Thames on a sightseeing tour …
But in any case I’d rather be sea-sick than dead.
|
I.
Answer the questions.
·
What are Susan and Julie talking about?
·
Which of them is going to travel? Where? Does she look
forward to her trip to Canada? Why is she scared stiff of the journey?
·
What is her husband’s opinion?
·
What does Susan think about flying?
·
How often do we hear of a crash?
·
Susan compares air transport with road transport. What
does she say about them? Are there more road casualties than air crashes?
·
Why does Julie prefer going by sea?
·
What does Susan think of travelling by sea?
·
Has Julie ever travelled by sea?
II.
Speak about Julie. Say why she objects to going by air
to Canada, what she thinks of air transport, why she prefers going by sea.
III.
Speak about Susan’s favourite means of travel.
IV.
How could Julie and Susan talk if Susan pointed out
that there is no need seeing to your luggage and carrying it to the plane?
V.
How could Susan speak in favour of air travels if she
pointed all the advantages?
VI.
She and her husband returned to London by air. Could
you speak about the two friends Julie and Susan and their favourite means of
travel, their advantages and disadvantages?
VII. Alex and Cecil,
students of London University, once had a talk about their favourite means of
travel. How would they have talked if they had pointed out that aeroplanes are
safe and sea voyages are also safe and comfortable?
VIII.
How could Julie and Susan speak about Julie’s
travelling by sea to Canada just after her return from the trip?
IX.
Remember Anne’s voyage round Europe? How could Anne
speak with her friend Lena about the cruise round Europe if at the end of the
talk she said that a voyage on a luxury liner is very enjoyable and safe and
explained why she thinks so.
X.
Describe a voyage you have had (or a would-be voyage).
Say if you enjoyed it, if you suffered from seasickness, if it spoiled the
voyage.
XI.
We’ve discussed different means of travel. Could you
speak in favour of sea voyages? … railway journeys? … aeroplane flights?
Комментариев нет:
Отправить комментарий
Примечание. Отправлять комментарии могут только участники этого блога.